Since this drink contains apple cider vinegar, it is gaining quite a lot of popularity with the fermenting phenomena today. But it actually originates in the 1700´s in the American colonies when farmers needed to cool down when working during the summer months, and that´s why it is also called “haymakers punch”. This drink quenches thirst and balances electrolytes with the added and subtle sweetness of maple syrup. It also gets rid of a cold if you add double the amount of ginger! You can drink this as warm or cold, so enjoy it all year round!
125 ml ginger, chopped
75ml maple syrup, preferably dark
50ml apple cider vinegar
75ml lemon juice
800 ml water
- Fill a pot with the water and boil, then add ginger.
- Boil for two minutes, then remove from heat and steep for 30 minutes.
- In a pitcher, add maple syrup, apple cider vinegar and lemon juice.
- Strain ginger to remove the pieces as you are pouring into a pitcher.
- Stir and mix all ingredients well.
- Add more water if a less intense ginger flavour is desired.